Thursday, June 12, 2014

Top of the World Highway or Highway from Hell

In the early stages of planning for this trip, I insisted we not go from Whitehorse to Dawson City via the Top of the World Highway. Bob finally agreed, thank heavens. So, today we took the Jeep and did the route in reverse  from Tok to Chicken to Dawson City.  Oh my, my.  I have driven on some really bad roads in my day but this one topped them all.  It was over 100 miles of gravel and dirt road with 12 miles of pointed rock bed for road.  We only had 1 flat tire and  felt very fortunate.


This pic does not even begin to do justice to this area.
This pic was of a section that wasn't too bad.
Runway in the middle of nowhere.  Petroleum execs probably use this rather than the road.
This must have been the "Airport Terminal".
One of my favorites.  Modern day Prospectors.
Geezer Prospectors.
Bob and Gary Geocaching on the way to Chicken.
This so reminded me of the TV series Klondike Wars.

No comments:

Post a Comment